Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I hate to be so serious but I have good news!

We visited my oncologist today and he gave us the good news that there were no bits of metastatic cancer found in the sample of spinal fluid taken or in the bone marrow.

Of course that doesn't mean that I won't be treated to three more lumbar punctures and accompanying injections of methotrexate. The bone marrow can take care of itself.

The schedule is to do the tests (PET/CT scan) after the third cycle of chemotherapy and if I am cancer free at that point, continue until all six cycles are complete. The lumbar punctures and methotrexate infusions would take place while this is going on.

Naturally, I forgot to ask the really important question that was on my mind. When is my hair going to fall out?

Tomorrow it will be one week since I had my chemotherapy, bags of drugs that forced me to eat an enormous hamburger that night, and consume massive amounts of food over the ensuing half dozen days.

It turns out I lost about five pounds. This was something of a shock to me, I had been anticipating gaining about five pounds.

My blood pressure had dropped too, and I feel healthier.

Did I lose five pounds of tumor?

Let's consider some of the other side effects from this infusion of chemotherapy: my foot fungi died.

Does that make this treatment a weight loss, anti-fungal?

It seems to have done a pretty good job on the tumors too, but I might have considered doing it just to get rid of the foot fungus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for some good news!!!!

And a few more snorts of laughter more for your wry humor.

No, sorry. Don't think chemo is viable option for foot fungi or weight loss. But if you have to go through this, you damn well better get a few perks! (At least, that's what I'd be thinking, 'twer it me.)

Perhaps you might also purchase a lottery ticket or two. You never know . . . .

Best of the best,

Kim P.

Janie said...

Oh, you are funny Uncle Phil!!