Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And I don't Bathe for HOW MANY DAYS?

Sample port products were shown to me while I was appropriately undressed waiting to get taken in and worked on.

I was struck by the length and circumference of the dangling line that would drop from up close to my neck down a good sized vein directly into my heart so that full strength infusion could be distributed throughout my body.

This scheme prevents the kind of damage to my veins that chemotherapeutic chemicals can cause.

I only paused for a moment to think: and now they're going right into my heart next to my sensitive little valves?


As the procedure started I was given a double port because I have lymphoma. There must be a reason for that but like many truths: questions may lead to conclusions that I'd rather not hear.

It had been a long day already what with seeing my oncologist and working through some paperwork issues with his "nurse navigator". It seems that I will be merely quasi functional for a definitely longer period of time than I had anticipated.

By a couple of months.

Naturally I had wanted to revel in workaholic passion in a mere several or so months, but I shall have to rest and retire from the day to the diverse entertainments available to the hapless couch potato.

It seems that the R-CHOP chemotherapy regimen has a deeper cumulative effect with each cycle that wears on a person. I suppose that means that my hair will fall out even though it made it through the first cycle intact.

My next lumber puncture and infusion has been scheduled for next week Wednesday. My next R-CHOP infusion (via port) has been rescheduled for the same day.

On a lighter note I will enjoy the next couple of days unbathed since I have a bandage that cannot get wet. I get to change it Friday and a couple of times more.

No comments: