Sunday, February 21, 2010

Altogether, reasonably...

Part of my nightly ritual is to take an anti-histamine, a bit of Singulair and spray some Flonase up my nose.  What fun you say. I think I have been having some sinus trouble recently and that may be what is causing some of my headaches.  Well, tonight something interesting:  I started to sneeze (the flonase makes my nose run) and found myself with a bloody nose.   Even more fun.  Let's see how this clots.

This is day 11 which puts me right in the middle of the "nadir" of white/red etc. cells.  Which in my case might not be as bad as it sounds. Platelets dropping?

It was a good day for a walk today and I took advantage of that fact and went for the walk up to Knob street which is I believe 5 blocks up the road.  It is a reasonable walk but back in the day I used to walk more than twice as far.  I felt body-tired after this walk but I didn't feel winded.

The effect of a chemo cycle is to feel very weak at first and to gradually get stronger.  I feel pretty strong by now but I probably don't have the usual degree of strength because as my body feels better from throwing off the chemo it is weakened by a drop in red cells which help stamina. 

Just an aside: the night sweats have been getting better.  I don't have then as often. But I still sweat up the bead occasionally.  Could be the warm comforter not the cancer.

A week from Monday (tomorrow) I get scanned to see how well the chemo has been working.  Hopefully all my little friends are gone by now and I won't have to take care of their welfare.  The scan entails an injected dye that will probably have to go in through my arm.  It would be too nice if they could just use the port.

I will have to come off the metformin for a day or two so I will be calling up my doctor this week to get something to bring my blood sugars down a bit so they don't spike too high. The dye and metformin are both excreted by my kidneys, so the rule is to wait a couple of days to come off the dye before going back on the metformin.

I'm thinking that I will seriously have to diet when I come off chemo (in the distant future) not only to bring my blood sugars down but to get rid of all the excess weight I've gained in the process.  Maybe I should see if my gym (which has been through a couple of owners) is back and I can start to exercise again.

No comments: