Wednesday, May 19, 2010

stick a needle in me I love the pain

Today was day one of my participation in a Clinical Trial and a fun day it was too.  My port was not working properly and so I was stuck repeatedly and finally given a dose of TPA to unclog the little blighter.  I came in about 3:00 and left about 5:30.

They finally got the blood - vial after vial.  I was told that there was a guy waiting at the shipping dock to whisk it away to California or wherever it was going to go. 

The nurses who dealt with it were simply wonderful and great fun but that port has repeatedly been a problem.  

I've been trying to go to work a couple of days a week at the office just to be there and absorb some of the ambiance, but trying to stay for four hours is foolish.

It kills me later and the next day.

My doctor and his head nurse told me that it will take months for me to recover from this.  At the same time I will be on Revlimid too and it is impossible to say how that will affect my energy level when it has the same kinds of deprecating effects as R-CHOP.

The question I want to ask, and for which there is no answer is: of how much deprecating effect?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phil,

I didn't disappear. I've been reading. Life got harried.

How long is the drug trial? I probably read it, but I don't remember. PLEASSSSEEEE don't make me look for it.

Is there life after cancer treatment? Some say there is. It appears you are enjoying some life during treatment as well -- I am glad for that.

Love
Best

Kim P.