Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cancer Free?

I saw my doctor today and the folks doing the clinical trial.

According to the Path Report (which I did not get a copy of) I am cancer free.  From what the doctor said it's cancer free more or less because it can come back.

That's right an encore performance.  I'd better keep up on my insurance premiums.

Well my immune system should be mostly (but not all) back so I shouldn't suffer severe repercussions from infections or a cold should I catch one.  It won't kill me.

We talked to the folks managing the clinical trial and I signed the papers.

I promised among other things that I would not be getting any young women pregnant.  The reason is that lenalidomide is related to thalidomide and may mutate the offspring of my lecherous activity. 

Lenalidomide has a long list of potential side effects and the only one I'm concerned about is a tendency for increased clotting.

I could cast off this mortal coil prematurely if I don't take my aspirin.  There are other side effects that are much like the side effects of chemotherapy.  My white cell count might drop, I might get tired.  A lot.

And then there is the rituximab which has it's own side effects.   Also much like chemotherapy side effects which I have tolerated well.


This is all to keep me from DEATH BY CANCER.  Scary, no? 

I am simply amazed at how much I can live through without keeling over.   I am open eyed and sanguine.

My unique view about death is that it'll happen in it's own good time and it's the cherry on top of the ice cream soda of life.  I don't worry about it because I firmly believe it is the easy part of life's trials.

The best saved for last, so I look forward to it.

I'm more concerned about how my family and friends would take my death - and the only thing I can do about that is stay alive.  So I do, but it's an act of love not fear.

I'm really not concerned about me at all.  I am simply fine.

No comments: