Saturday, August 21, 2010

time to reminisce about symptoms come and gone

It's been two and a half weeks (roughly) off the revlimid and some things are working better than before.

My heart, for example, isn't doing hard double thumps in the evening.  Although it was so exciting wondering what would happen next.

The Walkies during the past week show that my muscles and fitness level are improving; but long term recovery is slow.  I am tired by the of the week.

My old familiar headache that feels so much like the cancer headache that started a year ago is still there although I don't have all of the strange neck sensations that I believe revlimid precipitated.

I notice it off and on throughout the day.  Driving home from the store today, for example.  I believe that it would be a pleasant experience for those who like the occasional whip of pain.  Ouch!

The rash has faded, although I did notice a bit of it when I went to the pharmacy this morning and had to be out in the sun and heat for a small while.  But it wasn't much.

I am not as dehydrated as I was on the revlimid, although I still get up three times at night to relieve myself and drink water because I have dry-mouth.  But the dry-mouth isn't as bad.


My stomach is not feeling well in the evening - last night I got up out of bed and took some tums - that seemed to help.

My appetite isn't what it once was and a bowl of cereal will last me all morning.  I am eating more starches and grain products so my constipation is not a problem.  My blood sugars are high but not so much as to cause immediate concern.  I measured 146 the other morning and I will rectify that but not now.

I feel good in the morning and enjoy my work and dorking with my Ubuntu Linux system which I put on an old laptop recently.  I don't feel so good at night however.  Part of it seems to be stomach upset but I believe there is a mental part too (although I can't put my finger on what).

When I look in the mirror or try on almost any pair of pants I notice  how much of a gut I have gained.  Thus the exercise.  It's a little difficult to do what I once did because I don't have the stamina and literally don't have the stomach for it.

So I don't feel crappy as much as I used to, but it hasn't gone away.   And since the cancer is gone, I have the more mundane tasks of trying to get out of the shape I got into from the various amounts of prednisone  and chemotherapy.

I won't even discuss where my sexual interests have gone.  I put them somewhere, and I haven't been able to find them. 

My employers have been very good to me but one of these days they may want me back in the office, and I know that I would not be up to it right now.

It may be a while until I am up to it.

No comments: