Friday, April 9, 2010

awash in speculative retrospective bewilderment one more time

As I approach my last infusion of the six treatments that were planned I want to look back and see how I got here. 

As much as I can piece together from emails this is the time line:


  • It could be a headache (end of June).
  • OTC pain medications (July)
  • X-Rays of neck with small disks C4-5 and C6-7 (start of August).
  • Visited KMI massage person (day of x-ray)
  • Changed monitor at work and try to stand up straight
  • Skelaxin
  • Skelaxin plus muscle spasms in neck (mid August)
  • Carisoprodol (late August)
  • Glasses (September) 
  • Lumps (early November)
  • ENT (mid November)
  • CT scan (late November)
  • Biopsy (I lose my beloved tonsil: early December)
  • Biopsy Report (mid December)
  • Meet with Oncologist (late December)
  • First Chemo session (New Years Eve)

    From this and looking back on my emails to my doctor I would draw several conclusions:

    • Whenever I thought it was one thing or another I was always wrong and I was wrong a lot
    • My doctor was wrong a lot too
    • A lot of the advice I got from people was irrelevant or unusable
    • My cancer was found with a CT scan and a Biopsy
    • The CT scan alone led to guesses until the biopsy results arrived
    • It was treated when it was known
    The lump on my neck was the item that caused my doctor to send me to the ENT who looked down my throat and said that it looked full on one side.  That's why she ordered the CT scan.

    This lump mysteriously vanished three days before my first chemotherapy infusion.  I do not know what caused that lump to appear.  I have many speculations but I know how much I can trust them.

    No comments: