Wednesday, March 10, 2010

a moment to reflect on this special year

It has been a strange and special year:  it started out with a mild but persistent headache that simply got worse.


By the time I was  told that I had cancer I wasn't exactly mentally functional:   I had increasingly worse headaches and my neck was in pain;  I lived in fear of violent neck spasms.


The pain had a deadening effect on me and when I started to think I might die I considered that idea calmly.   My world darkened and being the fatalist that I am I just accepted that.  Death seemed very reasonable, likely and not necessarily unpleasant considering that I was in episodic pain.  

There have been perhaps a handful of people that when they have died I have known about it through some discomforting dream.   And it occurred to me that there were people who loved me and they might have some very bad dreams when I died.

I had a responsibility to them and I remember thinking to myself that I wanted to pull back from the abyss and live.

Now all my litte tumors seem to be gone and in another couple of months I will be free of chemotherapy treatments and can have my port removed.

I can say that life looks very good right now.

No comments: