Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Searching for the Cure

I stopped  by the Headache Institute and had a long conversation with a Physician's Assistant which was, I think, a rather pleasant way to spend some time.  Once I actually started talking to her, things went pretty well.   She had good interviewing skills and put together a history, gave me what looked like a neurological exam and found the places on my feet where I don't feel so well anymore.

I seemed to be spilling blood sugars because I asked for water and seemed to need several bottles, and of course a couple of trips to the rest room.   And I thought I was being so good with the low-carb diet.

She presented her work to the doctor and that took about half an hour, but they had a very good little book about nutrition by the numbers for free which described so much that I wasn't bored.

I also drank more water.

When she got back to me she submitted over half a dozen prescriptions to my pharmacy, and I found them on my email and went over to pick them up.

One of the drugs is Gabapentin which will help me get better quality sleep, although it is an anti-spasmodic.

I took some about 40 minutes ago and I feel like falling asleep already. My neck feels good too.

I have not analyzed what all the drugs are or what they do, there are NSAIDs, some of which will help me overcome the headache that I am sure to get from quitting coffee which will be very difficult.

That's that old nail in the forehead kind of pain.  Not soon forgotten.

It appears that my headache is like a memory that my brain cannot get out of my head although the doctor didn't use those words.  He said the nerves that line the C2-C4 vertebra (where my little friend was located) lead to the same place in the brain where migraines come from.

I have not entirely digested the sheet of paper that describes how to use the drugs, without which I would be completely lost.   More tomorrow or the day after when I've had time to type that information into a word document and actually digest it.

I think I will be emailing some questions to the young woman who took my life history down.





No comments: