Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Miraculous Drug

I should say more about treatment I've been going through and the affects it has had on me and my neck/head pain.   Initially I stopped drinking coffee and took one form of Diclofenac or another to deal with the withdrawal headache.

I've noticed how medical people pronounce Diclofenac differently than I do.

Then I started on the Bridge which is Meloxicam 7.5 mg twice daily which is an NSAID and the benefit is that it deals with the arthritis that is in my neck, and for that matter other places.  My hand feels better.

I was also prescribed Amerge (Naratriptan) which is a migraine reliever.  It seems the nerves from the back of the neck (where my problems are) rise up to the part of the brain where migraine headaches originate.

The first Amerge pill I took gave me such a feeling of well being and giddy joie de vivre which unfortunately wasn't repeated by the second pill I took that day.

The Meloxicam keeps my neck from feeling that it has a severe muscle problem that results in pain.  Instead I have headache that comes and goes.  For this I take one, two or three Tizanidine 4 mg. which is a small oval white pill which is a muscle relaxant that can cause drowsiness.  I only take this towards the end of the day when my mental capacities and driving skills are no longer required.

I took Skelaxin this morning because, like yesterday, I woke up with a headache that seemed to accompany a deep unpleasantness in my neck.  I am not used to waking up with a headache; and I can't say that this regimen has helped my headaches anymore than the daily Naproxin and Skelaxin that I took only weeks before.

Where I have noticed improvement is in the Gabapentin and last night's dose of Zonisamide which left me feeling very relaxed.  That is a marked improvement over my usual condition, which is a tenseness bordering on paranoia.

As you probably know,  Gabapentin is an antispasmodic which should aid me in having a truly deep sleep, which I believe it does.  Zonisamide is an anticonvulsant which is normally prescribed for epileptics and after the first bit of grogginess which caused me to fall asleep, made me feel very relaxed.

I'm just waiting for the Zonisamide to build up in my system, that might help with the headache.
  



No comments: