Friday, March 9, 2012

A visit to the Neurologist

It has been well over a year since I've seen my Neurologist.   She had changed her hair style and was striking.  We hit it off on the right note when she came to get me and I told her that she looked different, she laughed.

I am however always stymied when a doctor asks me why I am seeing them and I have to start describing my symptoms. 

As it turned out I wasn't in great pain when I was there, I was rested.  I had to wait until I got home and the pain in my back and neck had time to gel.  Pain medication followed.

As I figured out when I went off of the Skelaxin for a while just a few weeks ago, the drugs become less effective as you use them more.   Some of their side effects might start to surface as well. 

The point of this is that over the long term drugs (I have at least two large bottles of Advil to help the Skelaxin) are not good.

So my attractive doctor is referring me to a headache institute right here in Chapel Hill, not associated with UNC Hospitals where they may have therapies that will allow me to come off the drugs.

She suggested one possible therapy which is injections of Botox in my neck muscles.

It would be wonderful if my stiff neck and headaches would go away.  It is almost too good to think possible. 

I could have a glass of wine again without checking to make sure I hadn't taken some drug where alcohol was "contra-indicated".

Maybe the pain will be "contra-indicated".


 



 

No comments: