Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It's the revlimid stupid!

My oncologist thinks my headaches are directly from the revlimid.  Considering how much my muscles were abused by the tumor that was deep in my neck I can see that. 

I have a high risk because of the number of tumors I had but the chemotherapy was so effective that I probably don't have a problem right now. 

And the revlimid may be helping me.

I am getting an MRI of the head and neck tomorrow night.  And my oncologist wants a little spinal fluid to analyze and we know how they get that out. Ouch.

When I saw him I had been out and in the heat and humidity and my rash started to flame up.  One of the nurses commented that my face looked all red. The nurse coordinator for the study noted the bright red little spots on my arms.

It's not the measles or chickenpox but it's almost as good.  I looked in the mirror after I got home and I thought there was more on my forehead and a some on my face.  I haven't seen any on my face before.

I'll know that I do or don't have a tumor by the time I go to the beach.  I can take aleve when I get there.  Considering that these headaches feel just like the headaches I had before my tumor was diagnosed, I will want to know.

I could see myself wallowing in the prospect of new cancer with the glee only a true self pitying hypochondriac can appreciate.  

Instead I'll be enjoying myself.

I think my doctor is considering bouncing me from the study.  Today he mentioned that with the rash, nausea, headache and generally feeling crappy I may not want to continue.

If I had half a brain I'd take him up on the offer.   I'm on cycle 3 out of 12 and they seem cumulative. So how bad am I going to feel in a month or two?

Or six months from now?

2 comments:

DonW said...

Hi

Very interesting blog. I'm about to begin my fourth year with lymphoma and also about to begin a new treatment for which revlimid is a possibility. What I don't understand in your is why you would have anything to do with any drugs if you were in remission? In the event, what did it to for you?

I'd be interested in knowing. Good luck to you.
Don

PJ said...

Don,

Good question. I don't know.

In my last CT scan and my last MRI came out cancer clear. But I don't know if I can attribute that to the revlimid.

I joined the clinical trial to increase my odds of survivability. I can't tell if that strategy worked.


Phil