Saturday, June 19, 2010

treating the eyeball

As you may have noticed from my blog posts I have an infected eye.

Wonderful you say but how did I manage that? 

Well, my eye gets dry in the evening like a dehydrated alcoholic and crusts over after I go to bed.  I have difficulty pulling the lids apart in the morning.  Although Visine drops in the evening prevents the worst of the dryness, my eye is red and mean looking.   I believe it is called "pink eye".

This all started sometime in my last or second to the last R-CHOP infusion (think dehydration and punk immune system) and I thought that it  would go away.  And it did come and go and if I didn't bother to pull back the lid of my eye I wouldn't notice it so much.

But it was still there and diseased. 

My eye managed to get better while I was on Acyclovir for my other condition: a rash and painful skin irritation (not in the same spots).   But it came back.

So Friday I decided to call up for an appointment at my doctors office and saw another doctor and am now taking 5 400 mg tablets a day (I had been taking 3 on the last go round).  I also was prescribed anti-bacterial eye drops that I take every few hours.

I have an appointment with an ophthalmologist for Monday.

No comments: