Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the office visit

One must remember that medicine is an art not a science.  Information can be teased out of the patient and it is my experience that nurses are better at this than doctors. 

There are of course blood tests and they help too; I suggested a Hemoglobin A1C and my doctor smiled and said yes.  This test should tell us all how badly my red blood cells have been mucked up by the high sugar levels I've been providing myself with.

For a diabetic, it is always good to remember that starch breaks down into glucose.   And I had become addicted to toast and butter with my eggs.  

Other tests will be TSH which is the thyroid stimulating hormone produced by the pituitary gland and a T4 test which measures thyroid hormone itself.  

I am scheduled for an echo cardiogram because R-CHOP can damage the heart.   Sometimes mine does not seem the same; especially when I get tired and short of breath walking. 

It is reasonable that the R-CHOP chemotherapy and Revlimid account for my difficulties; but there are other possibilities and it is best to look into them now rather than later. 

It may save my life.

No comments: