Saturday, September 4, 2010

Another day of freedom

It is not quite a week from when I last saw my oncologist and I am starting to get used to the feeling that I might be well once I get over the final depredations of the drugs.

I still have headaches and my neck is still stiff and behaving oddly.  My muscles don't feel good.

I am limiting myself to one cup of coffee in the morning to prevent my heart from having peculiar off beat thumps.

I'm usually brain dead or simply very tired by the time I get to the end of the week.

But it's nice not to have Mr Death tapping me on the shoulder and asking me if I have the time to take a walk with him. 

I remembered something today from July 2009 which was back just after I had started having headaches.  I was driving home from work and I had the feeling that there was a female presence in the car with me telling me that I would be OK that she would stay with me and protect me.

In all of this maybe that would have been one of the better things to remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phil,

I like the idea of a guardian angel. I'm not a believer in the traditional god . . . . but I do think the universe can send us protectors when we need them.

I'll be interested to know how successful you are at not looking over your shoulder.

BUT! for now, I hope you can thoroughly enjoy being cancer free.

Best

Kim P

PJ said...

Kim,

I love being cancer free.

At this point I'm not concerned about it coming back; partly because my oncologist will check for recurrence periodically; and partly because I think the odds are in my favor, given the way the tumors vanished so quickly with the chemo.

As you can probably guess, I've been leading a charmed life. I could tell you stories...

Phil