Saturday, April 28, 2012

Blurp! Just a little Tipsy last Night

I enjoyed a glass of Malbec last night.  It was an old bottle of Castello del Diablo left in the refrigerator for at least six months which, if you like cheap wine, is one of the better ones.

It is Chilean, which helps account for the price.

Maybe I did have a bit too much, but my liver seemed to take it pretty well.   

It's the rest of me that isn't feeling well this morning.  Bit of a headache, neck getting twitchy.  Just like that slightly hung over feeling I used to experience regularly in my college days.

I took a couple of Advil a bit after breakfast and am waiting to discover if my stomach will start to feel upset after a while.

As you are probably guessing by now I am looking for OTC drugs that I can use to supplement the Skelaxin which is a muscle relaxant.

It has been a hit or miss proposition.

Drugs are burdened with side effects, which are unclear until the drugs are taken for a while.

The only prescription topical NSAID I tried made me sick even at a low dose; and as a result I studied how that class of drugs works and discovered the peculiarities of prostaglandin suppression.

I'm looking for some topical Ibuprofen right now which I expect to work better than the Aspercreme, but not work so well that is suppresses my prostaglandin production to the point where I get an upset stomach.

Well, it might work.

So I will probably revert to a Skelaxin in a bit to deal with the stiff neck and headache I have today.

I have emailed my family doctor, who I see on Wednesday to help me manage my neck as a tension headache.

I wonder what kind of treatment he'll come up with.  I read about tension headaches on the web and the article said that one of the treatments, aside from a frontal assault on the pain with wonderful drugs, are some varieties of anti-depressants.

Just looking at the caveats of those kind of drugs, I might not be able to take NSAIDs with them because of the potential for bleeding problems. I can feel the potential pain from that already. 

I'm wondering how a drug like Paxil, a GSK antidepressant will make me feel?

I've been thinking that I'm probably a mentally deficient depressive anyway, maybe I'll get cheered up with that drug.

Of course the fact that some drugs have strange effects on my central nervous system that they don't on regular people leads me to wonder what sort of mental side effects I will develop.

Maybe I'll become supper happy and really piss everybody off.   Nothing like a personality change to give your friends the willies.

It has been long enough that the Advil had kicked in and my headache and neck feel a bit different.  Advil doesn't work very well on this headache, but it does take the edge off.

We'll see how this works.

No comments: