Friday, February 3, 2012

Wonders of the Drug

As you may know I have been on Skelaxin off and on since the fall of 2009.  And an interesting drug it is.  I never really bothered to check it's side effects until today, because the problem that the Skelaxin resolved of neck tension headaches seemed like such a problem that I didn't want to look.

But my prescription has run out, and it has been over a year since I saw the neurologist who prescribed the drug to me.  So I thought that I would try a little experiment and try to get by without.

But let me list the side effects that I found on a very helpful website: drugs.com.  First the light side effects:  Dizziness; drowsiness; headache; irritability; nausea; nervousness; upset stomach; vomiting.

I've actually had some of these: Headache, nausea and vomiting.

The more serious side effects are:  Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever, chills, or sore throat; unusual or severe tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

I don't think I've had any of the severe problems; but it's not like I really keep track of these.   I wonder if my heart thumping problem is related.

All things considered I feel motivated at this point to continue to not use Skelaxin, just to see what the symptoms of that are like.

I've noticed the occasional headache from the bad part of my neck and I might take an aspirin for that.  Or maybe an Aleve.  But I won't take a Skelaxin.


No comments: