Sunday, September 11, 2011

Saw Oncologist Last Wednesday

I saw, my oncologist last Wednesday and I look pretty normal.  He didn't even discuss my blood work.   I complained about my headache, something Mary had put on the list for me to talk about (thank goodness) and he went over the original PET/CT scan which I didn't read closely when I first saw it on New Year's Eve 2009.  

If I had read it I might have given up hope for walking out of the cancer hospital again and again.   The cancer was much progressed from the November 15th CT scan that discovered the original tumor in my neck.   By the time I was waiting for my first infusion it had wormed it's way around to the left "para-vertebral soft tissues"  as well.  The soft tissues within the spinal canal had increased uptake.  "Numerous foci in the spleen".  One in the liver, one close to the pancreas; and the list goes on. 

What comes to mind when I look back on it is that I am glad I didn't read it.   I didn't have just six.  And the cancer was everywhere.  If I had not been infused right then, it would have gone into my brain.

I would have been a dead puppy.

But what it looks like is the stenosis in my neck was probably there from years ago, but the tumor did things to my neck along the spinal column.  I don't know why the Revlimid made the pain flair up, but I notice that the muscles that were damaged by the tumor are the ones that are a bit twitchy now.   The pain is in the same place and sometimes it even bears a resemblance to the pressure I felt underneath.

It has been over a year since my last treatment with Revlimid.  My neck still gives me headaches.

No comments: