Friday, January 21, 2011

Adventures in Neurology: Tendentious Spinal Tendinitis

I had a neurological exam a couple of days ago with a young and attractive neurologist.   A pleasant break from all the male doctors and therapists I've been seen by recently. 

I always prefer to disrobe for ladies.

Naturally a neurological exam entails a certain little metal hammer with a rubber stopper on both ends of the head and my first thought was 'lead hammer treatment' which is I know spurious and pointless, but it came to me nevertheless.

Hammer just below the knee, some places on the arm and this attractive young woman kept hammering her thumb nail when she was doing part of my arm.  She said it was so she could feel the tendon, but it looked like it hurt.  And yes I asked her about that.

I saw my MRI and and it looked as though my spinal cord was being squished inside of my spinal canal.  But it would be inadvisable to try surgery  because that could make it worse.

I don't have any of the more serious symptoms such as tingling or numbness in my arms or legs; weakness in my legs.   Inability to do fine finger coordination (as in typing).   And many others.

I just have headache and a stiff neck.  I've noticed that my neck cracks a lot. 

Therapy: stretches, physical therapy, maybe a little yoga.  I also have prescriptions of muscle relaxants to soothe the knotted muscles.

No comments: