Thursday, May 23, 2013

I Hope they Don't Have To Cut me!

I saw a neuro-ophthalmologist today at our local Big University Hospital.  I prefer teaching hospitals since the residents are actually interested in you.  Not bored. Willing to share information.

There were three doctors altogether.  The Family Practice young woman just listened in and the resident, I can't remember his name, would occasionally explain things to her and I was happy to listen in then.  Then the Great Master who spoke so fast I was happy to have the resident around just because he seemed more normal.

I'm toying with the idea of doing all my ophthalmology there since they showed a degree of life that I rather liked.

They worked quickly but were patient with me.  I had my list of symptoms that I had observed and they listened to me for the COMPLETE LIST.

I am well disposed to this treatment.

But my double vision can best be described as:

  • Both eyes are screwy, but more the left then the right.
  • Probably not diabetes but it could be a contributing influence
  • Probably not Gabapentin although I am on such high doses of the stuff (800 mg Tabs X 4/day,  which I have reduced to 3/day).  Reducing to 3 has not helped my symptoms.  But my doctor was talking off the top of his head when he said NOT RELATED so I'm not sure that I trust that.
  • Neither eye shows any sign of diabetes and I've been one for 18 years.
  • Could be Thyroid Disease (which I have). 
  • Could be diabetes related although with the control I have of that disease not likely.  Diabetes could be a contributing factor.
  • The muscles on the sides of my eyes may be too large thus hampering movement.
  • Could be some combination of the above. 
  • Ultrasound is planned for next week.
  • May need surgery to resolve the issue. 
I'm so happy that I worked extra earlier in the week so I could be OFF today.  My eyes feel crappy and don't focus so well after all the stuff they poured into my eyes.

No comments: