Friday, October 12, 2012

Slap a CPAP on Me!

I had my "treatment" sleep study last night, and I've learned that I hate CPAP machines.  Although at the end of the evening I was almost used to the one plastered to my face. 

Initially, a small nose CPAP was put over both nostrils, and I inhaled with my mouth closed.  Sometime in the night the tech named Joe came in and switched out the nose for a mask that went over both my nose and my mouth.  I have vague recollections of the change.

This was a little difficult for me to get used to.  I could never cough properly, which is very important to me, and clearing my throat was an impossibility.  Whenever I exhaled I would feel the warm air on my mustache, and I had a reflex to not inhale.

Eventually I sort of adjusted to the device and I merely hated it.

I was asked to lie on my back, because that's where my apnea is worst.  So I had some events which the machine corrected for.

Wonderful.  Lie on your back so we can catch you having an 'event'.

I talk to the doctor October 31st.  I wonder if I'll be impressed with my condition? 

2 comments:

jon wilson said...

Really good Entry! One of my consumers was diasgnosed with Sleep Apnea and the later it resulted into an Acquired Brain Injury (ABI)due to the lack of oxygen to the Brain. As an advocate i worked with the consumer, a vendor and his doctor and consumer got an Oximeter that would beep if his Oxygen levels went too Low!
c pap machines

PJ said...

Thank you for your comment.

I knew that Sleep Apnea could cause problems, but thought about heart problems, not brain problems.

But I'm a patient, not a doctor and I only know what happens right in front of me. Or worse, to me.

Phil