Wednesday, December 30, 2009

MUGA, Lumbar Puncture and Stage

Today I had a MUGA first off which is a test to show what kind of shape your heart is in.  Especially the valves.  The reason for this is some of the chemo can damage the heart.

My heart looked really good.

I think the lumbar puncture had me sweating.  I remember asking myself as I was lying there if I had put BO on this morning.  then I didn't care. I have not been so scared half out of my wits since I can remember, but I just held on to the pillow and hoped the guys doing this knew what they were doing.

The idea was to take about 6.5 cc's of fluid out and send it to the pathologists to see if there were little metastatic critters in there and then put the same amount of Methotrexate back in to kill them off if they're there or not.

I guess prophylaxis is the proper word.

There were a few strange twinges and the pain killer burned, but it was OK.

We talked to the doctor about the extent of spread and he mentioned 4 or 5 places.  Liver, spleen maybe rib, tailbone.  I thought I only had one little buddy, but I've got a bunch.  I wouldn't have noticed this if it hadn't been for the one in the neck eating into my C2 vertebra.

But I've got a lot, and maybe elsewhere like spinal area or brain, we just don't know.

The good news is we're looking to cure, not just extend life although my case is referred to as "challenging".

PS

So this week I have had a PET scan, a CT scan, two pokes for bone marrow extractions and lumbar puncture with an infusion.  I look forward to R-CHOP chemo tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil,

Found the blog. Thanks for sending the address. This will be a lot easier as you try to navigate life and cancer treatment. Cancer treatment, hmmmm, a huge intrusion into life.

Best,

Kim P.