Thursday, April 4, 2013

Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers

I am now the proud owner of a strange and brilliantly designed contraption that goes around my chest and has three "bumpers" on the back to make me into a side sleeper.

The picture in the advertisement is of a young woman sleeping comfortably on her side with this thing around her, preventing her from rolling over.

Like the O2 before it, this wrap around set of bumpers (there are 3) prevents me from rolling onto my back at night.  I think I feel better because of it.

Sometimes I roll over onto my back and mouth breathe, and when I do that I'm not breathing the O2 from the machine.  Yesterday, after using the device for one night I didn't have my usual down time in the afternoon.

What could possibly be wrong?

Why would I be writing this blog post at 5:00 am?  Well, I woke up and eventually looked at the clock around 3:45.  

I once saw a program about how often people change positions in the night.  Quite often.

I slept on my side. The same side. The same position. This is the down side.

My right knee and hip ached when I got up.  I tried sleeping on my other side, but my left shoulder and are are injured (stupid workout injury) and that was uncomfortable too.

But I'm starting to feel better, and I don't think I was oxygen deprived all night.

So I'm systemically better, but my joints and some muscles aren't feeling so great.

But I don't think that's such a bad trade off.  And I might modify this thing so it not only does it's job, but has a degree of comfort too.  So I'm optimistic as to outcome.

No comments: