Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Continuing Saga of my Drug Habits

Here it is Saturday night and I can't have a beer, a glass of wine or a shot of whiskey.   All because of my drug habit.  I'm talking about my Zonisamide of course.  I'm taking 50mg a night and alcohol is contra-indicated.

More Zonisamide gives me something of a breathing problem.  I was on 50mg in the AM with breakfast and 50mg with dinner and I had difficulty catching my breath.   I wonder what the 100mg capsule was doing to my breathing while I slept when I was on that in the evening.

Well, that's water over the dam as they say.  Or is it under the bridge as it were.

Each day I take 50mg of Zonisamide and that seems to resolve the breathing issue.  The headache/neck problem isn't too bad as long as I get plenty of rest.

Which I did today.

The Pulmonologist I saw early in December said that my lungs look great for (A) somebody my age and (B) somebody who has been through the amount of chemo that I have been through.

She thinks that given my symptoms the Zonisamide may have anesthetized my mid brain which controls breathing.  What a little problem that would be.

And since I take my daily dose at night, I should have another sleep study to check to see that it doesn't do that at current dosage.  If the neurologists don't order it, she will. 

No comments: