Sunday, October 13, 2013

Trashing the Drugs and Maybe Leaving them Behind

Mary and I drove to Madison Wisconsin from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and a pleasant and long drive it was.  We both saw family and it was nice to get back to where we grew up.   Things change, her father is over 80 and doesn't remember things.   But we had a nice time visiting.

We drove to Milwaukee from Madison to see my family and actually my brother Tom is over 70 and relishes having grandchildren.

We left on a Thursday, and I had taken a 25mg Zonisamide the Sunday before.  It was my last dose.

When we arrived at the first hotel that night and I discovered, rather late, that my Oxygen Concentrator didn't work.  This was after I had taken 2mg of Tizanidine.

I could feel the affects of being without oxygen for the night when we began driving the next morning.  It was like I was dirty inside all over my body.

I stayed off my serious muscle relaxants for the rest of the vacation, although I did take a 500 mg tablet of Chlorzoxazone once or twice to counteract muscle spasms in my back.  I was trying to reduce the affect that the drugs I was taking had on my breathing while I slept.

For the rest of the trip I slept well. Without oxygen and not feeling bad the day after.

I have not had a Zonisamide in a couple of weeks and last night I slept without drugs and also without Oxygen.   It was a good night's sleep.

The reason for taking  Zonisamide (at 50mg/night) and Tizanidine is for the headache that I've had since the end of my cancer treatment.  But the headache, much to my surprise, was gone once I stopped the drugs.
 
I will have to go back to the Neurology department at UNC and  get a monitor for me to sleep with to check my O2 level at night.  Just to ensure that I can get by without and O2 assist.

The O2 is dry and gives me a sore throat (or a dry throat) and I would like to be able to live without it.

I wonder if I can?

 



 



No comments: